This post brought to you by FrogTape. All opinions are 100% mine.
We live in an old brick house built in the late 1800's, many of the walls are uneven, and some of the walls are even brick on the inside. It's a challenge to paint them one solid color, and almost impossible to add an even pattern, or a straight line. I've been wanting to add some pizzazz to our front porch walls for a while now, but with the nooks and crannies in the bricks I couldn't figure out how to paint straight line.
That's why I was super excited to check out Textured Surface by FrogTape. FrogTape® is treated with patented PaintBlock® Technology, a super absorbent polymer that reacts with the water in latex paint and instantly gels to form a micro-barrier that seals the edges of the tape, which helps prevent paint bleed.
I decided I was going to dress up the walls in the front porch pictured above with some random horizontal straight lines, and put the FrogTape® to the test!
- FrogTape® Textured Surface
- FrogTape® Multi- Surface
- FrogTape® Liquid Paint Block
- paint brushes
- paint in the colors of your choice, I used pink, blue, green, and yellow.
First I wiped down the wall with a damp cloth, since this is our dog's favorite corner of the porch, just to make sure I got any stray dust or dirt.
Then I set up my lines by outlining them with the FrogTape®. I wanted them to be random thickness and random lengths. I also wanted some to come from each side of the wall. One more thing I wanted…. no paint runs!
Once I had the tape in place, I went over the edges with FrogTape® Liquid Paint Block to seal up all the little nooks and crannies on the brick and to make sure I wouldn't have any paint runs!
Then I painted! I followed a pattern for the color order of pink, blue, green, yellow, but I thought about making it totally random! I'm not a neat painter AT ALL as you can see! It's usually all over me and the walls, even where I don't want it to be.
I was a little worried when I pulled off the tape, but then I was super excited! The lines turned out clean, with no paint smudges or runs.
Pretty awesome for our old brick wall!
Here are a few tips from FrogTape® I followd for obtaining the sharpest paint lines:
1. Burnish Edges of Tape – best done with fingernail, credit card or a plastic squeegee. This ensures proper adhesion on all edges.
2. PaintBlock® Technology – This technology can be pre-activated with water by wiping the edges of the tape with a damp cloth. *Note – this step is required when using non-water based paint.
3. Make sure surface you are taping is dirt and dust free to ensure proper adhesion.
4. Avoid stretching the tape while applying to the surface to prevent the tape from lifting.
a. This is especially relevant on curved and round surfaces. For best results, make sure there aren’t any gaps between the surface and the tape.
5. Choose the right tape for your project!
a. Any freshly painted surface (1-3 days cure time), wallpaper, finished wood and other delicate surfaces, use FrogTape® Delicate Surface
b. Any textured surface should require FrogTape® Textured Surface Sharp Paint Line Solution Kit
c. For all other surfaces, use FrogTape® Multi-Surface **Note – this includes Shape Tape**
6. Always remove painter’s tape while paint is still wet.
For more creative projects using FrogTape® follow the FrogTape Textured Surface board on Pinterest.