Can you believe Father’s Day is only a little over a week away? Eep! Do you have the best dad ever? Why not let him know this Father’s Day by giving him a blue ribbon award? Here are some super simple cupcake toppers kids can help make just for dad. This Father’s Day cupcake topper is perfect for a last minute Father’s Day gift idea.
Let the kids help bake and decorate the cupcakes, and assemble the blue ribbon toppers. Dad will love it!
These cupcakes would make a great Father’s Day gift, or make a bunch for a Father’s Day brunch.
Father’s Day Blue Ribbon Cupcakes
- Card stock
- Cupcakes made from your favorite recipe or mix
- Your favorite decorator icing
1. Let the kids help bake the cupcakes according to the package, or recipe directions.
2. While the cupcakes are baking and cooling, assemble your ribbon toppers.
3. For each ribbon topper you will need one larger circle, about 1 1/2“ diameter, one small circle, about 1” diameter, one toothpick, and two pieces of ribbon about 2” long.
4. You can trace around a plastic bottle cap to make your circles, just use two different sizes. A milk bottle cap and a water bottle cap would work well for your two different sizes.
5. Use double sided tape to stick the smaller circle to the center of the larger circle.
6. Use a permanent black marker to write your message to dad on the small center circle. You can write whatever you want, but keep it short since the circles are small. #1 Dad, or just Dad are wonderful choices.
7. Glue two pieces of ribbon together so they’re overlapping at the top, but spread apart a little at the bottom.
8. Put another dot of glue at the bottom of the back of the circles, and attach the ribbon to the base of the circles. Set the ribbon assembly aside to dry for a few minutes.
9. Put a little glue on the back of the ribbon just below where they cross. Use the spot of glue to attach the toothpick to the back of the award (see photos).
10. Set the Father’s Day cupcake topper aside to dry for a couple hours.
11. While the Father’s Day cupcake topper is drying decorate your cupcakes with your favorite decorator icing, a pastry bag, and your favorite decorator tip. Show the kids how to hold the bag and decorate the cupcakes by moving the pastry bag in a circular motion while squeezing the icing out gently from the outside of the cupcake to the center. You can also use a knife to spread the icing on the top of the cupcake if you don’t want to use a decorator tip.
12. Once the cupcakes are iced and the toppers are completely dry, insert the end of the toothpick into the top of the cupcakes and present them to dad to let him know how you special he is on Father’s Day.
Kid’s Fun Tip:
You can change the message on the ribbon of your Father’s Day Cupcake Topper for grandpa, or for anyone in the family who deserves a blue ribbon reward.