When I was growing up my mom was always trying to fool us first thing in the morning, before my brain was even awake to realize what she was doing! She would come up with little tricks, or fake food ideas to surprise us with on April Fools morning. I always fell for it!
These days I like to pay it forward, and try to fool my son on April Fools day. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. One of my favorite April Fools jokes is to make food that isn’t what it appears to be, like this bagel and egg sandwich. It isn’t a bagel and egg at all! It’s melted chocolate on a doughnut! It’s super easy to make, and you can put it out on April Fools morning to see if you can fool your family!
April Fools Idea~ Bagel and Egg Sweet Treat
- white melting chocolate
- yellow food color
- plain doughnut
1. Melt a handful of white chocolate according to the package directions.
2. Pour the melted chocolate onto wax paper. Make the puddle of poured chocolate about the size of a fried egg.
3. Color the leftover melted white chocolate with yellow food color. If the chocolate starts to seize up when you add the food color, add a little paraffin wax to keep it liquid.
4. Pour a quarter size circle of yellow chocolate in about the center of the white chocolate you poured earlier.
5. Let your fake egg cool and harden.
6. Slice a plain round doughnut in half, and place the egg on top.
7. Serve up your faux bagel and egg sandwich to your family and watch their reactions!
Looking for more April Fools food ideas? Check out this pizza sweet treat: How to Make a Pizza Cake
Or check out these ideas: Fake Food For April Fool’s Day Pranks